Thursday, March 12, 2009

Chicken Broccoli Casserole

My family loves this. I make it often, probably too often. It can be made ahead and put in the freezer for later use.

Line the bottom of a pan (sprayed with cooking spray, of course) with fresh, cooked (or frozen) broccoli. Sprinkle with cubed cooked chicken. Make a sauce with two cans of cream of mushroom soup, 1 cup mayonnaise, and about 1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Spread the sauce on top of the chicken. Cover the top with shredded cheddar cheese. You can sprinkle the top with bread crumbs, crushed up corn flakes, or leave it plain. I guess you could even top it with sliced almonds if you wanted a little crunch. Cook for about 30 minutes in a 350 - 375 degree oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Makes one 9 x 13 pan that will serve 10 - 12 hungry people. Serve with rice and maybe some fruit or a salad.

I have made this using frozen Normandy blend veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots). I have also, on occasion added some mushrooms. I usually put it all in a huge bowl and mix it up (except the cheese) because I like it when you get sauce in every bite. You know, no naked broccoli or chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment