Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Crock Pot Taco Soup

I got a recipe for this soup off the internet and then customized it to what I had on hand and what my family likes. The original is on allrecipes.com and is by Janeen Barlow. It says it serves 8 but my family had it for two meals, plus there was enough for me to have it for two lunches also.

1 pound ground beef
1 chopped onion
1 (16 oz.) can chili beans, with liquid
1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, with liquid
1 (15 oz.) can whole kernel corn, with liquid
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
2 cups water
1 (14.5 oz.) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chile peppers
1 (1.25 oz.) package taco seasoning mix

(I substituted black beans for the kidney beans and 1 quart of bottled tomatoes from my garden last year for the diced tomatoes.)

In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef until browned. Drain the fat off and put the meat in the crock pot. Add the onion, beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, tomatoes, green chiles, and taco seasoning mix to the crock pot and stir to mix.

Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for about 4.

Serve with sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, and corn chips if desired.

1 comment: